You'd imagine that diseases would be more of a problem in the Fallout universe prior to Fallout 76. After all, there are few doctors in the nuclear world of the Fallout universe and the apples are probably incredibly rotten or irradiated by now. But radiation poisoning is just one thing to be aware of now, as other nasty afflictions can include diseases.
Fallout 76 diseases guide
So you'll need to take different measures to prevent or cure any disease you may come into contact with. I've prepared this Fallout 76 diseases guide that details how to prevent contracting a disease, and how to cure them.
Preventing diseases is one important aspect of Fallout 76, but really there's a lot more to discover about the game itself. Those looking for a beginner's guide to get started with the game should have a look at our Fallout 76 guide hub.
- Preventing diseases in Fallout 76
- Curing diseases
- Fallout 76 diseases and symptoms
- Fallout 76 guide series
Much like how it works in the real world, the best way to combat any disease is to not get it in the first place. That may seem like common sense, but there are certain actions that will put you at more risk to getting any disease than not, so here are some of the known things you need to avoid doing.
- Consuming raw food or untreated water.
- Sleeping in beds that are not raised from the ground (ie: roll-out beds).
- Swimming in radioactive water.
- Traversing environments that are irradiated without a gas mask or hazmat suit.
- Attacked by any enemies with the biohazard symbol next to their name. The type of disease inflicted depends on the enemy type.
So you've somehow picked up a disease. That sucks. You won't see any physical symptoms on your character like a pox, but the diseases that you can contract are of a stupidly wide variety. More on that in a bit, but you're probably wondering how to get rid of it.
There are a couple of ways, namely by finding antibiotics, crafting disease cures, or just by waiting it out. Dying doesn't get rid of the disease, so if the disease is really hindering your progress, just seek out the cure. If you're ever in the position where you can find disease cures, make sure you have a few spare in case there's a particularly debilitating infection.
Alternatively, you can also head to the Whitespring Golf Club and look for the white gazebo. There you can drink from the sulphur water fountain to cure your disease.
Once you've contracted a disease, you normally can't get it again for 45 minutes. Different diseases can't be contracted for 30 minutes. The only exception to this is by leaving the server and joining a new one. The way that doing this can be helpful is if you picked up the Plague Walker mutation. This gives you a poison aura, the effect of which scales with the number of diseases you have at any given time.
Now you know how to prevent and cure the diseases, it's best to know everything about the diseases that you can contract in the game. Below is a table with all the diseases, their symptoms, and the duration should you wish to wait them out.
|Blood Worms||Take 25% more damage.||15 minutes|
|Bone Worms||Take 50% more limb damage.||15 minutes|
|Buzz Drain||-2 Intelligence||15 minutes|
|Dysentery||Increased thirst rate.||15 minutes|
|Fever Claw||-25% ranged weapon damage||15 minutes|
|Flap Limb||-2 Strength||15 minutes|
|Glowing Pustules||Bleed radiation from wounds.||15 minutes|
|Heat Flashes||-2 Endurance||15 minutes|
|Jelly Fingers||+50% Ranged VATS AP cost.||15 minutes|
|Lock Joint||+50% Melee VATS AP cost||15 minutes|
|Needle Spine||-10 Carrying limit||15 minutes|
|Parasites||Periodic food loss.||15 minutes|
|Rad Worms||Take 50% more radiation damage.||15 minutes|
|Rattle Hands||-25% damage with ranged weapons||15 minutes|
|Shell Shock||AP drain from wounds.||15 minutes|
|Sludge Lung||Max AP: -50 AP Regen: -50||15 minutes|
|Snot Ear||-2 Perception||15 minutes|
|Swamp Gas||-2 Charisma||15 minutes|
|Swamp Itch||-2 Agility||15 minutes|
|The Blight||Suffer -1 to all S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats.||15 minutes|
|Weeping Sores||Bleed from wounds.||15 minutes|
|The Woopsies||-2 Luck||15 minutes|
Now you know everything about Fallout 76 diseases. We hope you'll check back soon as there's the many quests that the game has throughout the ruined world of Appalachia, what each perk card does, and what you need to craft certain weapons. But for now, do check out the rest of our guides below:
- Fallout 76 guide - Tips and tricks for getting started with Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 server status - For all the updates regarding when Fallout 76 is online or offline, head here.
- Fallout 76 Bobbleheads - They're no longer permanent. Find out more about them here.
- Fallout 76 Magazines - These are also no longer permanent. Locate them here.
- Fallout 76 challenges - Want to customise your character? Get more atoms by completing challenges.
- Fallout 76 mutations - Also new are Mutations. Some are great, others are not, so discover more about them.
- Fallout 76 perk cards - Perks are completely different here. Get the lowdown on how they work.
- Fallout 76 Power Armor locations - Want to look like a Brotherhood of Steel member? Grab a Power Armour frame.
- Fallout 76 event quests - A primer for all the event quests in Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 daily quests - How to unlock the daily quests in Fallout 76.
- Fallout 76 enemies - A full list of enemies in Fallout 76 and details on variants.
- Fallout 76 nukes - Deliver the nuclear payload to your enemies and scavenge for rare materials.
- Fallout 76 lockpicking - Access safes and locked doors with ease.
- Fallout 76 terminal hacking - Obtain secrets and disable traps by hacking terminals.
- Fallout 76 character creation - Make your character as unique as possible.
- Fallout 76 CAMP - Build a CAMP that others will marvel at.
- Fallout 76 weapons - Make weapons and discover why you should pay attention to condition.
- Fallout 76 armour - Craft armour and learn about outfits.
- Fallout 76 treasure maps - Unearth valuable treasure left behind after the bombs fell.
- Fallout 76 multiplayer - Join up with others to complete quests.
Fallout 76 Wasteland guides