Minecraft Dungeons is a lot more fun, albeit a lot more challenging, when you're playing with friends. Teaming up with another player is rather simple to set up, whether you're playing with friends online or family members in the same household.
In this Minecraft Dungeons multiplayer guide, we will be teaching you how to set up local multiplayer and how to set up online multiplayer, as well as explaining how the multiplayer mode works.
- Minecraft Dungeons multiplayer explained
- How to set up Minecraft Dungeons local multiplayer
- How to join friends in Minecraft Dungeons online multiplayer
- Minecraft Dungeons guide series
Minecraft Dungeons multiplayer explained
Minecraft Dungeons can be played solo, but it's a lot more fun when you and your friends are battering your way through hordes of Creepers and corrupted Illagers. You and up to three other heroes can venture into both story missions and secret missions in a quest to find better loot.
There are some key things to keep in mind whenever you're playing multiplayer:
- Dungeons are generally harder with multiple people exploring them.
- Players can use simple commands to communicate with the other player.
- You can reunite with another player by using the Ender Pearl. The teleportation process takes a short time once you've chosen the target player you wish to warp to.
- You may find monster spawn cubes in levels. Hit them repeatedly to make them stop churning out monsters.
- If an ally falls in battle, you have 30 seconds to revive them or you will both lose a life. To revive a player, click on them and wait a few seconds.
- When an ally has fallen, the night will begin setting in. Monsters will randomly spawn around the area and close in on the fallen ally.
- When an ally is revived, they will only have a slither of health. Make sure that you use a potion to restore back to full health if you are revived.
- Loot and emeralds are not shared, but arrows and consumable items are.
For those who are able to play Minecraft Dungeons with friends in the same space, you will need multiple controllers. This is because the PC version can't support multiple keyboard and mouse setups on the same PC. You can have one person using keyboard and mouse, while other players use controllers.
To set up a local multiplayer game, select "offline game" from the main menu. Here you can have up to three other players to join your game. Each will be able to select their own skins from a limited selection, before appearing in the camp.
The majority of people will likely be connecting with friends for online multiplayer. This has two advantages compared to local multiplayer: you'll be following your own hero around each level since you are not confined to (splitscreen/a limited space), and you'll be able to use whatever control setup you want.
You will need to be friends with the other players, so make sure that you have added your friend's Xbox gamer tag before running the game. Once this is done, head into Minecraft Dungeons.
To set up an online multiplayer game, select "online game" from the main menu. Here you can see who's online and who's offline. Select "Start Online Game" to head to the camp. From here, open up the Friend tab (Default on keyboard is F). Here you can invite up to three other players to join your game.
If you have a family sharing account with some friend's Xbox accounts linked to it, it is possible to play Minecraft Dungeons on separate devices online. It's not perfect as we did struggle to get it working with one of our shared accounts, but a second account was able to play with no issues. Microsoft have a guide on how to do this here.
If you are looking to join friends on other devices where Minecraft Dungeons is available (Xbox One, PlayStaiton 4, and Nintendo Switch), sadly it's not available yet. However there's some stuff you can do ahead of time. Go to our Minecraft Dungeons crossplay guide for everything you need to have set up before crossplay comes to Minecraft Dungeons.
Thanks for reading our Minecraft Dungeons multiplayer guide. You'll find plenty more guides for the game in the section below, so do check them out.
- Minecraft Dungeons guide - our top 30 tips for Minecraft Dungeons
- How to play Minecraft Dungeons - learn how to play the new game from Mojang
- Minecraft Dungeons crossplay - information about crossplay and setting up a Microsoft account
- Minecraft Dungeons best builds - all the best builds in the game
- Minecraft Dungeons weapons - a full weapons list for Minecraft Dungeons
- Minecraft Dungeons armor - a full armour set list for Minecraft Dungeons
- Minecraft Dungeons enchantments - the full list of enchantments
- Minecraft Dungeons artifacts - every artifact and their effects
- Minecraft Dungeons unique items - every unique item discovered so far
- Minecraft Dungeons secret levels - item tables for every level and the secret mission location
- Minecraft Dungeons emeralds - learn how to farm emeralds
- Minecraft Dungeons runes - Steps to find all the runes and unlock the secret cow level
- Minecraft Dungeons Jungle Awakens - How to unlock the secret level in Minecraft Dungeons's first DLC pack
- Minecraft Dungeons bosses - Learn the strategies to defeat all the bosses in the game.