While the previous adventure had Ori running away from big monsters more often than not, Ori And The Will Of The Wisps has some more traditional boss fights. The first proper boss fight you'll be facing will be against the Horn Beetle. Its attacks are rather simple to dodge, but it does have a couple of sneaky tricks up its insect sleeve.
How to defeat Horn Beetle
Found in Kwolok's Hollow, the general idea behind this boss fight is to take advantage of your dashes. The above video, recorded by vid bud Matthew, is a nearly perfect fight showing you exactly how to dodge its attacks and how to beat it. If you can't view the video, the tips for how to dodge the boss's attacks are below.
- Horn Beetle will jump three times in a row. If you are cornered, try to dash underneath it as it jumps. Its back will be exposed, allowing you to hit it.
- After the third jump, don't over commit to attacking it. It'll swipe its hard head around after a few seconds, which can hurt a fair bit.
- When the Horn Beetle rears up, it'll then slam onto the ground causing a tremor. You'll need to maximise your double jump so it's high and long to avoid getting hit.
- If the Horn Beetle backs away, watch its head and see if it tilts. After scratching its leg, it will charge at you. Run to the other side and dash under it when it jumps.
Since Horn Beetle commits to its attacks, it'll expose its red behind, which you can wail away at with your Spirit Edge melee weapon. You won't have a lot else to attack this boss with, so concentrate on getting the timing down and you should be able to defeat this early boss with ease.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guides series
With those tips, the bug is well and truly squished and you're able to continue on with your adventure. We have a bunch of guides readily prepared below that cover all sorts of things, from the locations of certain collectables, builds for Ori's skills, and quest solutions. We also have all the boss fight/chase sequence guides in a separate list below that.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps guide - Our hub area for all of our guides for Ori And The Will Of The Wisps.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Gorlek Ore locations - All the locations of the Gorlek Ores to rebuild Wellspring Glade.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps life cell fragment locations - Every location of the life cell fragments to increase your health.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps energy cell fragment locations - All the places you can find energy cell fragments to raise your energy bar.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Spirit Shard locations - Places to find all the Spirit Shards in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps map locations - All of Lupo's locations in the game.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps quests - Every side-quest detailed from where to begin, the item you need, and the rewards you get for completing them.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Hand To Hand quest - Steps to finish the longest side quest.
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps Regrowing The Glades - Find all the seeds and replant them.
- How to solve Midnight Burrows bell puzzles - Unlock the secret area by solving the bell puzzles.
Ori And The Will Of The Wisps bosses
- Ori And The Will Of The Wisps boss guide - Our central bosses guides hub will walk you through each of the bosses, with some general top tips for fighting them.
- Howl boss fight - Avoid the claws of this beast while using fire to drive it away.
- Wellspring chase - Escape this horrifying tentacle monster's pursuit by following our step by step guide.
- Feeding Grounds stealth section - Avoid the clutches of a giant bird in the desert.
- Mora boss fight - Defeat the giant spider.
- Baur's Reach avalanche chase - How to not get crushed beneath a torrent of snow.
- Kwolok boss fight - Make that frog come to his senses.
- Sand Worm chase - Escape the crumbling ruins and the Sand Worms mandibles.
- Willow Stone - How to shatter this mini-boss with ease.
- Shriek boss fight - Beat the giant owl once and for all.